We live in a world of technology far different from the world our parents grew up in. So many social etiquettes and manners seem to have fallen by the way side in this new generation of cellphones, evites, and tweets. But I am here to say they have not been lost with me, nor will they be with my children.
RSVP
Let me first start out by saying RSVP is french for "répondez, s'il vows plaît", which translates to "please reply", or in other words "let the person know if you are coming or not dipshit" it'll take you two second to press NO on the evite, or check off NO and remail the wedding invitation (that is already addressed and stamped for you) or to text them and say sorry can't make it. But no, instead people ignore the invitation and either show up or don't. THIS IS RUDE. How will the host prepare enough food if they don't know how many people are attending. Even if its a low-key social event, don't be an asshole, just let the host or event planner know if you are coming. It's a social etiquette that should not be tossed in the recycle bin.
THANK YOU CARDS
I can't even tell you how many weddings I have attended and not received a thank you card. So I will start with etiquette rule numero uno when it comes to weddings. YES you HAVE to send a thank you card. Second it needs to be within three months of the wedding and third it should be the old fashioned hand written on paper and mailed (or hand delivered) to the person. Not an email, not a text ect. Im not going to pick this one apart too bad because there are all kinds of rules when it comes to wedding thank-yous but I think you are pretty much safe if you write down "thank you" for whatever they got you and send it to them. Hard? No! If each guest took the time to pick out an outfit come to your wedding, listen to your vows, toast you 400 times at dinner and then stay and dance with you and on top of it all stick 100$ in a card for you (or even go out and pick something off your registry, purchase it and wrap it) then the least you can do is formally say thank you. Even if you have already verbally thanked them, it never hurts to say thank you too many times! I think that is my rant about thank you's. You should even consider the art of the thank you card for showers (baby and wedding) and any event where attendance and a gift was required. But hey thats just me being strict about being polite.
CELLPHONE ETIQUETTE
Now this is a new one! I don't think google has a hard and fast set of rules on this one but I'll tell you our rules. No cellphone at the table. Period. Turn your cellphone on silent at bedtime. Do not text or use your cellphone while engaging in a conversation with other people. NEVER use your cellphone at your part-time job (like at a cash register, or serving someone food ect) No cellphone use while driving. No cellphone use where it will disturb others ( movie theatre, funeral, doctors office...) This one isn't hard for those with common sense but I can see it is going to be a challenge with the next generations of our world. If it is a time or activity where your full attention and concentration is required, NO CELLPHONE.
CHIVALRY
Ok maybe this term doesn't quite fit what I intend it mean but here I am talking about men treating women right. Im not talking about flowers and paying on a date I just mean the simple courtesy of holding a door for a woman or pulling out a chair. I think it is important to treat women in your life with respect (mothers, sisters, wives, daughters) and to demonstrate this in your actions. You would not believe the amount of men who let a door close on me at 8 months pregnant and not even think twice. All I am saying here is to be kind to one another (women included).
Ok I think that concludes my rant. I just wanted to get those things out there, as they are important to me! Lets all remember our roots and try to be a little more polite to one another (and if your roots taught you nothing maybe google a think or two). Technology is not a replacement for our manners.
No comments:
Post a Comment