Today I started, and finished, my first race. It was a 10km run which I completed in 1 hour and 1 minute. I was definitely not first but certainly not last and I am pleased with the time and effort I put in. I think the most important accomplishment of the race is that I started something and finished it. I have only been running since September so for me this is a huge achievement. I was the student in Junior and Senior High that couldn't run a 100 meter dash to save my life. I HATED running. Even as a light jog to warm up. HATED. But strangely enough I got into it because of Alexander and have stuck with it thanks to my friends. We run three times a week and keep each other motivated. Today was all three of our first run and I am so proud that we even took the step to enter, show up (and on time despite daylight savings) pin our bibs to our jackets and manage to stay on our feet the entire run (there was a lot of ice). Time and distance don't matter as much as the physical discipline we have taken on to train ourselves and stick to a plan! Of course it sounds easy coming from my mouth as I am happy with the outcome of my run but in all honesty it doesn't matter if we would have all three walked across the finish line dead last, as long as we finish what we start it is a huge feat! Of course winning things is always nice too but that is not the purpose of what we do in life. We must see the bigger picture and enjoy the journeys we take as much as the destinations we arrive at! I hope that I can teach my son that as he grows up and partakes in his own interests and hobbies. Cross your fingers that I won't fail at a super important step in parenting! Anyway here are some photo's of our race. It is off to bed for this gal, I am achy and pooped and have a babbling baby who refuses to go to sleep because his internal clock is telling him "you still have an hour before bedtime". Thanks a lot daylight savings "spring forward".
 |
| Ready to Run |
 |
| Some homemade 4-leaf clover gloves! For the St Patricks Run |
 |
| Post Run with my cheerleaders |
No comments:
Post a Comment