Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Hospital Bag

I know, you're thinking "enough with all the pre-baby blogging". Sorry! But when I was searching things out on the internet, to get organized, I ran across quite a few blogs with great ideas. So I thought I would return the favour and share. I promise you my day consists of more than just baby-prepping. There is toddler fun in there as well ;)

Anyway preparing the hospital bag is a big one. Last time around I didn't even know what I would need, so like many others I followed a generic and impersonal list in "what to expect when you are expecting" or some other baby handbook. Trouble is everyone is different. We don't all have the same hospital experience so we end up needing or wanting very different things. Here is what I have packed this time around, and why:



Firstly the labour and delivery section of my bag. In it, are the following items: delivery gown, nursing bra and sleep bra, fuzzy socks with grips, hair elastics and clips and a house coat. 
Things that were useless to me that I did not include this time: pictures of my "happy place", music, books or entertainment.

I dont think the delivery gown is essential but I thought it was cute and decided it would be fun to look all posh in my own unique gown. I want to be able to nurse right after giving birth so having a nursing bra or sleep bra on underneath my gown will make this very easy. The fuzzy socks are for cold feed. Unfortunately last time around my feet were too big to get into anything I owned other than flip flops so when my toesies got a little chilly these socks were a life saver. Plus they have grips on the bottom so no worries about slipping. Hair elastics are important as who knows what your hair will look like when you go into labor. Housecoat is to throw over your nursing gown after you deliver for a little more coverage on your way to post-partum unit.


Next is the post-delivery wear. Included are: slippers, flip flops, nursing pyjamas, nursing tops, large underwear and a going home outfit (not pictured as it will be packed last minute).
I am pretty sure I stayed in my hospital gown for what seemed like forever. This time I am prepared with a nice set of nursing pyjamas to wear so that i am comfortable and accessible to baby. Slippers are for strolling the room and hallways. Flip flops are for the shower, I don't think anymore needs to be said about those. Nursing tops, large underwear and going home outfit are all for going home. They provide you with those beautiful mesh underwear while you are there so just have a pair of going home ones ready incase you don't like mesh shorts (although comfortable, not the best to look at). Buy a few pairs of cheap underwear in a size larger. You are going to bleed for weeks, why ruin your good stuff? And unless you are one of those walking miracles, your butt will be bigger, buy the right and comfy size for it!

The toiletries section includes: hair brushes, lotion, lanolin, breast pads (only a few), all essential shower items such as shampoo, soap, face wash, make up remover, deodorant, tooth brush & paste, flat iron, mascara and eyelash curler.
Maybe this is diva of me, but last time I brought a toothbrush and nothing more so this time I learned my lesson. I don't do well with change, so keeping my routine is best for me. Having my items is completely necessary. The lanolin is important for your poor nipples that are about to be ravaged (this stuff is a life saver seriously). I only brought a few breast pads as your milk usually doesn't come in for a few days so you wont be dealing with much leakage anyway. 

My snack section includes: a little treat for myself after babe arrives as well as granola bars to snack on between the delicious hospital meals. Gum incase getting up to brush my teeth gets delayed.
I remember being so hungry! My mom went out and bought me a box of muffins because I was so starved after dinner. This time I come prepared with treats and healthy snacks to keep my tummy full.

The miscellaneous stuff is some what lacking but will eventually include: phone, camera, wallet, along with the charger, pen and thank you cards.
Pen is for all the paper work you will have to fill out. Don't forget your pen. Thank you cards are just blank and will be used should I find the need to thank someone on staff. I believe the rest is self explanatory. 

Lastly is baby's section which includes: vaseline for the bum, 1 scrunch bottom jammies, one outfit and one going home outfit. Socks and mitts, 2 types of soothers and baby's first blanket for the carseat ride home. Of course the carseat is included in this section but wont be in my bag!
I normally use Desatin for bum cream but I read vaseline is good for the first few meconium poops. Plus I love vaseline for lip chap. I brought more than one type of soother incase one goes over better with babe. No diapers as the hospital provides those, just clothes to go home in. I brought my own baby PJ's for overnight as I am not a fan of the extra large snap up jammies they provide. Comfort is key! Last time all I brought for Al was a going home outfit. Looking back that seems a little under prepared.

I hope this helps any mama's out there preparing their hospital bags. Remember bring what makes you comfortable and don't over do it. You aren't there that long, all you'll need are the essentials.

5 comments: